Jordan Mechner  is a hot ticket these days. I don't know exactly when that happened — in 2003 when his Apple II classic Prince of Persia  got rebooted for a modern gaming audience, or 2010 when the franchise was adapted to film , or 2012 when he was the PAX East keynote speaker . Regardless, he and his properties seem to be popping up everywhere these days, with The Last Express  coming out for iOS this month and a new Karateka  due out real soon now.
The Mechner story that was perhaps of most relevance to Apple II users occurred earlier this year, when the source code for his original Prince of Persia was found and salvaged . The effort was 95% Tony Diaz, with the other 5% being Jason Scott knowing to bring Diaz into the equation. As the connective tissue, Scott observed the entire experience and gave a presentation about it on Friday, September 28, 2012, at Derbycon . The entire 52-minute session is now available online  (note: contains NSFW language):
Remove the foul language and the tendency toward eccentric clothing, and Scott is still an entertaining speaker who knows his material and has a good delivery style. I recommend this and any other presentation of his you have the opportunity to attend.
What's next for Jordan Mechner? At PAX East , he commented that computer gaming was essentially a sidequest toward his goal of becoming a Hollywood scriptwriter . Yet gaming seems to be where he's known best, and he continues to return to that scene. Whichever one makes him happy, I look forward to his continued works.